You have to write through to write out

Hi all, here's my take on the assignment. No excuses. But, I will share with you guys, who may or may not know this about me, that this assignment was harrowing because I have adult Night Terrors. On average, I remember intense flashes from between 3 and 10 very vivid (and often very violent) dreams a night, and many times I continue to see (hallucinate) the images once I wake up. This is coupled with sleep apnea, which prevents me from breathing through my shaking. When Night Terrors continue on in adulthood, they're sometimes associated with Schizophrenia or other mental health disorders, but luckily, I only see these images immediately after waking up.

Here goes. These three segments are some sequences that have recurred, in different iterations, over several years.

I miss and love you all.

________________________

I. the force
Blindwhite screen fires its own light in a room so large
the dark has walls. Click of a projector turning on.
I am bound. There are no voices but eyelids sound
blinks like feet on floorboards crick-creak and I am roped

to a chair. A forehead tie keeps my face to the front of a feedback
loop now playing; he is raping a girl in a chair, she is bound just
like me, I can hear the crick-creak of the swaying forced fuck
on camera, next to me, on the screen. There is an imp dagger

in his fist that ticks cuts once his dick is done. From origami
to evisceration and she finds her voice, she throws her screams
at me but I cannot turn my head to wish or watch or wonder if
he's eyeing me. I can only see through the screen. So many screams

pushing at my sweat and I know
I am the next offering.

II. the flight
The mannequin is laced with skinhide hanging
a sign that reads, "Know Your Body" and fuck I'm running
through a labyrinthine bushmaze two times my halfheight
but I keep looking down at the cherry juice on my cotton
dress as it flies. August has sticky fingers. Frida is talking
to me, know, Frida tells me to come home to her

chapel of tongues and color, I will be safe there. He is gone,
she says, they are all gone. Fall, I'm still running, I am behind
my head, I don't know which I am, behind my eyes, palm up
to block the light papered firetruck orange

through a hornflower, skeleton so simple and sweet, another
cotton plume catches on the first red leaf in September. Frida
is still whispering to me, she comforts and colludes: I am the broker
of beautiful things, and we are sequined in the return.

III. the final stretch
Teleport to another skylarge room buttressed with steel
and stadium lights. The floor is covered in sand, I wonder
just how deep it goes. The waves encroach. The crash keeps
coming in until I have found where the complex ends. End here,

my spine bumping backwards against the fringes, water so heavy
thundering taller and taller, on the fringes we wait for the crush.
I am frothing at the follicles, there is metal and canvas dug deep
between my vertebrae. I push back and up, now I am on my tiptoes
frothing at the fingers, clawing, wanting for the crush, wanting
to know just where all the bodies go.

Comments

  1. <3 k:

    Quickly & too briefly:

    This feels very spoken-word to me, but not in an overt or a bad way. The rhythm and sound is spot on. Completely haunted by "I am the broker of beautiful things." Bitching that you repeated it twice. I don't know that it would work anywhere else but where you placed it.

    Carry on my wayward sons. I'm posting soon,
    AD

    ReplyDelete
  2. this imagery is outstanding, but then again i'm biased, you know i love everything you write Kate! night terrors and schizophrenia too?? i'm astounded by the sheer amount of bullshit you've had to deal with in life, but equivalent exchange works in mysterious ways, as you are definitely one of the best writers i have the pleasure to know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Second Assignment, late (of course) but worth it (I hope)

Third Assignment: Pass that Stash, a treasure hunt

JP on "deal with me," BBRRRRAP!