A beatdown for the joy bullies

Due to the generosity of my lovely, brilliant friend Rory, I've recently been reading a book called Tolstoy Lied: A Love Story. Despite its myriad flaws, this novel draws attention to an at-least-half-truth: us academics, us rampant intellectuals, whether we embrace post-modernism & Derrida's deconstructionism or not, are afraid of writing about happiness or joy with the kind of sparkle WE KNOW seasons our lives. Fuck, it's hard to write about transcendence with a kind of real nuance, with complexity that works. So, though these effervescent moments comprise the promise that keeps us waking up in the morning, it's so difficult to find this promise in our writing. Thus, I make the following (1) mandate and (2) suggestion for this assignment.
(1) Write about some joy, with joy and depth. There must be hope in this piece that is not wholly meta-commentated away.
(2) Stuck on boring syntax? Tired of your own phraseology? Have a translation party. http://www.translationparty.com/

Go wake the dragon.
Or something.

<3k

-who-will-poempost-A.S.A.Ican.

Comments

  1. Oh, and as for a due date, I feel like I didn't get enough time for Jdawg's assignment, so I'm gonna go for... Labor Day (ha), Sept. 7.

    Go fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I forgot I was going to be out of town this weekend, so I won't hurt ya if you're a day late.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Second Assignment, late (of course) but worth it (I hope)

Third Assignment: Pass that Stash, a treasure hunt

JP on "deal with me," BBRRRRAP!