Jp on Kate's Doubt Assignment

The Dunning-Kruger Effect on Spinach

i.
I was going to make
Spanikopita tonight.
I’d just fuck it up.

ii.
I’ve made it before.
Many times. The eggs, cheese, dill –
My hands know the brush-

iii.
strokes required to
cover each phyllo sheet and
not leave spare butter.

iv.
But I wanted to
impress you with my skills in
the kitchen. I came

v.
to the conclusion
that I have none. No one has
told me my greek is

vi.
exemplary with-
out my prompting. Popeye was
like me, desperate for

vii.
compliments, trying
to beef up for Olive Oyl.
But he’d eat his can

viii.
of spinach, then no
one could ignore his prowess.
Grotesque with power,

ix.
like G-d, or what I
imagine G-d to be like.
Rabbi Akiva

x.
Called out to G-d in
debates, to prove his rightness.
I can call my mom,

xi.
but that’s a kind of
shame that borders religious.
Competence never

xii.
grasps its confidence.
I mush eggs, cheese, dill, into
the layers, bury it

where not even G-d can find it.

Comments

  1. I like this, but am slightly uncomfortable by it. Is that what's s'pposed to happen? I'm not sure the section breaks are working for you in the way you intended. Some of them are a little too "short-poem.." you know what I"m saying? Too clever..too self-aware in a way that doesn't connote doubt for me.

    i.e.-
    But I wanted to
    impress you with my skills in
    the kitchen. I came

    I'd make them even more bizarre-- it'd help punch up the strangeness, the doubt. I do love very much:

    one could ignore his prowess.
    Grotesque with power,

    Something about the quick clips of language and that nice mirror between prowess & power. You're a champ, Jon. I swear I'm posting soon.

    P.S.-
    I know you're probably not referencing me with that "I'd fuck it up," but it feels like that damn gravy poem at the start. Church!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Second Assignment, late (of course) but worth it (I hope)

Third Assignment: Pass that Stash, a treasure hunt

JP on "deal with me," BBRRRRAP!