"What would you like to do?" asks the device.



For once I'm the happy
   one and my life isn't going
      
      backwards. My wings caught fire,         
         color became the lyre; the old             
            cliché of living before dying. I                
               miss grief but not you. I kiss                  
                  he but not you. I am                     
                     hook but I am not song.                         
                        I have so much longing                            
                           but I am walling through it.                     
                              Years yank by, bad                                 
                                 gauges for sagging skin.    
                                    Something is not anything until       
                                 it's in the skin. Stretch  
                              marks and sin. Skeleton, I am    
                           the happy one and for once,                       
                        my life goes forward: to fire,                    
                     to grief, but not to you. To hook                  
                  and wall but not through. Gauge               
               the short of it: no sin skins             
            the skeleton who is still walking.          
         I am but not you. Living I am      
      but not you.

Comments

  1. I love you Kate, I love this, I love that you're thinking about aging a bit I am too and I'm glad that your writing is still so firmly in bodies, I never feel my own self as much as I do when I'm reading your work.

    WAKE

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Second Assignment, late (of course) but worth it (I hope)

Third Assignment: Pass that Stash, a treasure hunt

JP on "deal with me," BBRRRRAP!