New Assignment: DECLARATIVE, or Deal With Me

Hi,

I've had an assignment bubbling for a while, and Kate's poem jump-started my interest in it, specifically the "the whole god-damning summer / squall of me."

For lack of a better word, all four of us, and many others I know, do this type of poem occasionally that I'm going to call the Declarative poem. A statement of some power that creates agency and urgency in the self of the speaker's persona. A toast, a boast, a demonstration of will and skill, a this is what I can do, a bring it. The you-can't-imagine-my-___ness.

I think these types of poems are extremely exciting to both read and write. But I'm fascinated by the reason for it, the execution of it, and the efficacy of it. I know that all four of us write them - we all interpret it differently, but it's a tactic we use.

So this is a two parter. Write one. Then explain it. You can talk about the specific poem, the greater "category" of the "declarative," or how stupid you think the assignment is. I'll be posting shortly, which hopefully will demonstrate what I mean. I think it'd be real neat if we all did it. You don't have to write another one Kate if you don't want, but I don't mean to suggest that's what your poem is - there's more happening for sure, I just loved that line so hard, and it seemed to dovetail here.

By explain it, I mean why do we write these types of things? what do we accomplish / hope to accomplish? What reasons do we see for this type of writing in the culture, in literature, in our lives. etc?If you think this is a silly question / assignment slash you think you don't do it, post why. If you think the "form" is problematic, post why. For our readers (all n of you), feel free to post your thoughts in the comments.

A chance to write, to read, and hopefully to discuss. I'm interested in thoughts about the tendency. And since this is a process kind of assignment (at least pt2), be honest - it's ok if it sounds tentative, over-detailed, confused, pretentious, whatever, we're all friends here.

apologies for any awk wording - it's been a long day! cheers, 4/4 Rod!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second Assignment, late (of course) but worth it (I hope)

Third Assignment: Pass that Stash, a treasure hunt

JP on "deal with me," BBRRRRAP!