Time to Remix Myself
Crumble
sweet, structured, and stable.
As time went on, more grease,
more coagulant in your castle.
I tried to stop the crackling,
the popping, the humid dissolution.
I told you I’d keep it together,
that not every cube was important.
But soon, bereft of bonds, you toppled,
floated away, black with the tar,
hardened on the hot concrete,
rock candy for gulls. Fuck this
these sticky-fingered kids –
***
Sweet-structured crumble,
stable, stabled, situational.
of your castle breaks bonds
in humid dissolution.
Fuck your sticky-fingered cubes,
the primacy of commitment was
only important to the spaces left vacant
between tarring blocks. All bonds break;
all things topple and float away.
Slap a flaming sword before your rook –
it won’t stop us from dripping through bedrock
forming malignant candy altars
in the underground.
***
Replication
The flaming swords.
The divine electricity.
The tar pits.
Chronotopic coagulant,
keeping us trapped,
stabled numbers not sufficing.
the flesh pistons,
the replicating machinery of matrimony.
of desire: the corpses,
the remainders of life, the residue
of activity. The petroleum ice-cream
floating stuck in humidity.
then reach out, smaller and smaller,
to your only god: dissolution.
These Places, I Cannot Go Again
not dissimilar
of a sugar packet.
when you called to me,
stood around a cube
In the dark room,
You still smelled
lingering in the vacant space
afternoon. One hallway away,
slowly carving, around
of red pigment. You reshape
then square, then rook,
always end in different places
to grease pistons. Dissolution, interrupted,
the final pin. We watch geometry crumble.
Emancipation Fractals
while I was thinking about Stevia
of chalky, dense bricks in
a bid for independence, each
granted by God. They crack apart,
in the dissolution. An infinite regression,
to grain, to molecule, to particle. At last
a mass of sticky grease. This is about
It’s about the desperation of 1:30 AM,
It’s about empathy, but fuck this,
I liked this series. It was interesting to read, to see all the iterations. I'm inspired to try the exercise, too. Which was your favorite?
ReplyDeleteIs this Jill, the Jill I know?
ReplyDeleteIf so, Hi Jill! Thanks for checking it out!
It's interesting, because in a weird way I think a good poem could be cobbled out of the best pieces of each, but now that I've aired my dirty laundry so to speak, I like how they sort of exist, uncomfortably, here. I'd say my favorite is "These Places, I Cannot Go Again," but just looking at it there's already so much I'd love to cut out.
The original poem ended with a line I'd usually never use ("I miss you. Call me."), just because I'm very much a writer who is interested in language progression. But because of that, that line gained this awesome inert-ness, so heavy. And in revision I occaisionally wanted to keep it really badly. So, though I think "These Places" may be the best, I think "Emancipation Fractals" is my favorite. Thanks again for commenting.
The following are from Gene Kwak:
ReplyDeletejon, since you worked so hard on your experiment i thought i'd offer you some of my uninformed opinions.
here you go:
crumble
not a huge fan of the title crumble. makes me think of crusty desserts. i really like "coagulant of your castle" but the way castle and stable are butting up against each other seems oddly disturbing to me. in their slanty unexpectedness it somehow feels a little expected. best line in this: rock candy for the gulls. love the shit out of that. "fuck this metaphor" seems too easy coming where it does. it's like the first two thirds establish some sort of emotional tenor and the fuck this seems to deflate it. the "i miss you. call me." feels like it's trying to then pull a quick return to the emotional openness but it seems a little tacked on and also too passive for my taste.
sweet structured crumble
favorite line in this: "the spaces left vacant between tarring blocks." also i really like how rook and bedrock grate against each other. least favorite of the poems. i'm having trouble gaining entree into this poem. the first couple lines, and i'm not sure if it's because of the breaks or because of the syntactic/word choices, makes me feel like i can't gain traction. also the word "underground" and all its various connotations with the work "fuck" a few lines earlier and the sort of just under (and above) the surface level tension and anger seems to make me think of someone who takes himself too seriously. not you, but the narratorial voice of this piece.
replication
this builds off the voice established in the previous poem. now the anger seems at a nicely frothed level. this one has a nice rhythm to it. it starts staccato-like and then lengthens with the sentential progression. this one made me think of like angry guy at open mic or slam poetry. the imagery seems much more to be dealing with either humanity, the body, or straight anger: corpses, biological clock, matrimony, flaming swords. whereas in the earlier poems there were word choices that gave access to this emotionally undecided narrator (rock candy, hot concrete, fuck, amid phrases like miss you, sweet, floated away), this voice seems to be completely aware of him/herself.
More from Gene:
ReplyDeletethese places, i cannot go again
this title reminds me of the dr. seuss "oh, the places you'll go" only like the rebuttal. i love "voice crack" over crack of your voice. it snatches ownership more succinctly and has a nicer hard sonic quality to it. the v and the c and the k. also, voice crack makes me think of crack as in crack cocaine and so i immediately think of the image of a white cube and also the want of someone addicted. i like the shift into the more conversational tone and concrete imagery. this one feels more narrative. temporal space is established. but then i like at the end it shifts into an abstraction that's spot on. "geometry crumbles."
emancipation fractals
this feels the most like one of your poems. i love the title most of all the poems. this returns to the emotionally
undecided tenor of the earlier two. i love how this starts the most. it shifts from a specificity to an abstraction so nicely, one of the strengths in the best of your poems. i love how you give us the regression and it feels almost like a little time lapse film in that single sentence. then the narrator shuttles away all the abstraction and then shouts: this is about libertarianism. it's about depression. etc. that's great. yes, man, yes. emotional sincerity that peeks through the curtain. i don't have an answer for how it should end, but like in the first one, i think the 'fuck this' answer is too easy an out. it seems expected. some kid right at the cusp of a true emotional reveal gets to the edge and then waves it away w/ a fuck this. and then you called. love everything but the last like 2 and 1/2 lines.
didn't have too much time but thought i'd offer my .2 cents. also, i honestly wasn't a huge fan of the installation that inspired this, too obvious for my tastes, but i'm glad it inspired something in you. good shit man.
gene