JP's take on Ass 6: mi nalgas de cigarrillo son su nalgas de cigarrillo

Hey kids,

The title and topic was inspired by a wonderful babelfish translation Mjr. Gn. Bea Mao gave me once. section ii is entirely round-trip spanish translated in babelfish, which means that the original is lost (though I will say that one of the original lines was from a book i read about pedagogy, saying that teaching creative writing was equivalent to "putting wings on the invisible." guess which sentence it is! it's like a treasure hunt). the poem's pretty crass and ridiculous but i think it's super fun and stuff. Sorry for the lateness <3K! I don't think any of youse have read this before, but it's been edited since.




mi nalgas de cigarrillo son su nalgas de cigarrillo

1. expletive deleted

We buttfucked at her house
which made me uncomfortable
but you said it was the only way
you’d get lit in this wind.

Between giant pulls
from a jug of Carlo,
we talked of rumps
and junks and badonk

adonks, but never addressed
that if you burn from the ass,
what goes up to your lips? Nips
of whiskey all around, but

when “all around” is two people
alone in Southie playing hooky
from more philosophical friends,
it’s not really a little swig. We get fucked

the fuck up, buttfucking down
Avenue of the Arts, snuffing
out on the reflecting pool, penetrating
the surface with camel-colored ends.

2. the babelfish dilemma

The round-trip one is dangerous in uproar,
translators taking everything above that I say
but the language is not sensible, arbitrary and strange.

The cloud of ignorance, the repetition of destruction,
a fist of the wine, a yearling calf of smoke,
a small good thing bad going, a tattoo in the hair net.

The communication is for the pigs.
Him praise, Babelfish, although you know not
what you do it.

Comments

  1. I dig the first part of this piece, Jim. I think it's juvenile, but there's a kind of undercurrent to it. I can't quite put my finger on it but it has something to do with the push and pull I perceive happening in the first stanza. The buttfucking (uncomfortable in its own right) and then the "the only way / you'd get lit in this wind" kind of elevates it, makes it stranger and shimmery. The question about burning from the ass has a similar effect. The whole part of the poem becomes about, to me, the interplay between the impenetrability of sex and the curiosity of youth - but don't quote me.

    As for the babelfish dilemma portion, I think it detracts because the other part is so weirdly-good. It feels tangential. Though I do like "The communication is for the pigs" and "although you know not / what you do it." Those lines are just fab and I think would be served in a long exploration of this theme in a different poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed on all counts, sir. Believe it or not, the second part was, initially, a further explanation of the "buttfucking" thing. but the round-trip translation did two cool things: it used words i'd never used ("yearling calf?" wtf is a yearling), and it took the poem ENTIRELY out of my hands, which was strange. So it occupies an interesting place. Maybe what I'll try to do is edit down the original and see where the round-trip takes me. That's gonna be a ridiculous amount of effort for a very small pay-off, but that's my writing style in general!

    the fourth stanza of the 1st section loses some of the fun and gets a little weighed down. Adds an element of reality to it, but is it worth it? I've gotta take a look at this, and like you said, it's supposed to be playful with several things that resist playfulness, I just have to make sure it stays playful, and avoids clever or cool.

    good on yer, sir.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Second Assignment, late (of course) but worth it (I hope)

Third Assignment: Pass that Stash, a treasure hunt

JP on "deal with me," BBRRRRAP!