Hymn to the particular loneliness

of being
. Don’t say 

a little tongue
kiss is too much 

for you while your come 
is still dripping 

out of me. True, 
I wear my hunger

on my belly and I have worked 
long days in little 

jeans dirtying me
with something

other than shame.
Come on, you knew this 

about me. I want
to orbital-force 

play, rambunctious 
rowdy rollick. Ramble on. Full

stop feel. See these finger
suckers and nose tip

probe? And yes, good 
God, I love

pressing
my lips 

to everything.
The softest skin

of my Frisco thrums 
where wrist nips

forearm. But sweetly. Turn
out the electric

lamp and let the light
in. Please, let the butter sun

set lolly, lap up all the “oh”
of you in this terminal after

noon. I am not my father;
I will not doze into death.

Cut to a quick Houdini act,
skipping all the way across

the country, following dust
skirts dragged by a Deere 

truck across Iowa and so soon,
a lover tickled when

I call him, “boy.” He suction
cups his butt plug to the wall

of the shower tile above us. Hang
low, sweet mistletoe; his scrubbing

thumb in my ass, puckered 
sky light dripping glitter down

my breasts, A Creation
drawn by the gravity

of unts-unts shower
head disco. Dare we linger

on the floor? Fuck. Me, 
the light, the light, the swish,

swishing hips of pressurized
water. Unbearable exfoliation.

Darling, when the planet still spins
adorably to deepen the purple

of noon, your arteries are a little 
too prominent in the neck. Now, 

you are the one who I left.
Now, is there anyone left 

to doggone dirty puppy 
with me? Sing a hymn?

Sweet escape mission,
raise a note for the God who knows

I cannot make you love me.
A drum-a-dub-dub, felt

deep in the raw, for the thirty
years of trying every way out 

of me. But I’m still 
here in the hum. 

Comments

  1. Audio here.... http://theintellectualwolf.com/2015/08/22/hymn-to-the-particular-loneliness/ ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. God damn Kate I am so happy to see your writing and hear your voice read again. I've listened to you read this like six times in a row now. You fucking destroy the last sentence by the way, such a perfect read.

    I'm gonna try to have more comments as we go on, but I am just so wooed by this poem. The reverence, the ebullience, the sadness, and just the playful physicality of the whole thing. It's having so much fun (the poem), teasing and jousting with the reader, switching tone and topic for other angles and approaches. Also, fucking great teasing out the end of the first/second sentence over four stanzas and a title, and what a fucking sentence. I think the solo period / first line might take a bit of the wind out of the surprise sails of the second sentence though but I never not once had a bad time or boredom in this thing, it just demands attention and gets it because it IS.

    So much amazing is happening here Kate. "and I have worked / long days in little / jeans" is one of those lines where I'm amazed I've never read or heard it before because it's so immediate and full of perspective. Sounds like something Lauren Bacall would have said, had she been coming up in the eighties or something. So much meaning and tone conveyed so quickly. "orbital-force / play" was another instant I-get-this phrase and so right.

    The turn into "I am not my father" after another dope sex-taphor was whiplash in the best way, and "I will not dose into death" just destroys me. Your reading of "Now, / you are the one who I left." was awesome awesome. Just, Kate, this is the best thing, sensuous, sexy, emotive, and real as hell. So good, and not afraid to change emotion or tone. It's very real, and very messy, and I don't know if calling it "real" makes sense but it makes sense to me and I love it. Let me know if you want more comments or something more focused, right now I'm just enjoying letting it wash over me. Thanks <3K.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Second Assignment, late (of course) but worth it (I hope)

Third Assignment: Pass that Stash, a treasure hunt

JP on "deal with me," BBRRRRAP!