I don't know what I forgot,
love, but I hate all the words for it. Like recollection, you hit me--
like you're lightning and I am just a cable satellite dish wondering, "How
can something that'd stop your heart
come out like The Notebook?" But if I know anything it's that
I hate to be cute, so I'll ask a real question now: is it that
I can't remember love or how to
love a memory? I get to bumbling because a lot
of people have told me a lot of things
about love and poetry and love poetry. Yawn, I know. Are you still reading,
G? See, this one time
L said poetry came too easy to me; obviously, it was my life I needed
to fix, not my language. Someone else said simply, "don't."
Was that me? Oh, and everyone knows what H wrote: words
are elegy to what they signify. Isn't that a tad too TV for you? For us? Unless he was talking
purely in the scientific sense of the minute interstice between a reality outside
my body and--yeah, I'll say
"blackberry," then put one between my teeth--"mm, sweet." A lapse
large enough to slip a sheet of paper through. Maybe a sonnet? I'd rather sonata.
The truth is, cuteness keeps the tragedy at bay.
I'll try again. L, the secret to being
prosaic isn't such a secret after all. If you asked,
I would write novels about how I'm too scared
to poetry,
to really
poetry, because
poetry makes everything an other
serious question. Like: is it really language
that fits the prude-glove of making love
over balls-deep boning? Yuck, I'm sorry, I meant
fucking. The road
to obfuscating all intention is paved
by people who teach other people how to language. People
like me. Bet you're paying attention now. I'm sorry, did I--did you hear
the other shoe drop? Just this once, I'll try to say it
to you straight: I used to own this
pair of slip-on Converses. Black, of course, but with a silver
arabesque print on the toe box. Hm. Was it arabesque or tribal, truly? I suppose
whichever one doesn't give you
the hipster heebie-jeebies. Anywho, the shoes
had white salt-stains of summer in the lining and daises threaded
through the eyelets. They were made of the summer I learned to love
E, believe me. And the sun was so sunny it hurt a little, even when I closed
my eyes, and the sky so clear I wanted to say "redemption" out loud and "home" out
louder, like I was really just twenty-two, just like the rest
of you,
and everything they told me
about California was true for the love of--
for the love of the word. You were right, L. Poetry used to be easy
because I used to be happy
to not tell it like it is. Yes, I used to go for long
walks to look at the leaf-crowds and link arms with the wind,
my skin sweating from the touch of so many light-fingers,
and I've allowed myself that luxury.
Yes, I've loved so many
versions of myself and called them
by others' names. G,
you are the man who threw the wrench.
Isn't it always a man? Women, I understand, inside and under
me. I am one. But you
are the kind of man who'll bend over for me
to peg you with a strap-on even though you know
the formal logic of why
that's no inverse of where I come
from. How to love without leaving
any you or me behind, that's what I can't--
I can't recollect
mountains from sand. I fell for a man,
you, in November and you still trip
up my tongue. Forget poetry, here's all you need
to know about me:
whether arabesque- or tribal-patterned, I poked my big toe
through one of those Converses, and then I had to
throw them both away. I used a stranger's pen
I never touched again
to cleave me from E, who was once my husband.
I wrote this poem and called you G
but you are really something,
someone, else.
So you go on ahead,
introduce yourself.
Comments
Post a Comment