Ghazal: Bottom out of heaven

When we rise to say goodbye, he and I cleave drowsy, fall
past one another. The rain pangs ruddy leaves. Uneasy fall.

We were splayed, overlaid hot, in the Foothills when we fell
asleep sloped. We woke at noon. I kissed him crazy, felt the fall.

My fish sloshed reckless in her bowl. "Hold on tight!" Our Utah:
The Rockies flexing their knuckles over a gold-queasy fall.

Shoulders broad as doorframes and I am just passing through. I
warned him I've had many loves; did he worry over the fall?

We can't be alone in each other's open interval.
Wreck morning on his chest. Lolling on breaths, it's easy to fall.

My other has given me simplicity, the hush of
home at dawn. I'll miss him when the winds bring the next balmy fall.

You have consumed much joy in few years, wanting Katherine.
Now learn about you and love: You fall in. That's the only fall.

Comments

  1. hey kate

    this is real nice, it's been a long time since i've read a ghazal - it's refreshing! it's been a long time.

    I love where the poem goes. last two stanzas, much to my surprise, are really hitting me in a nice way. I feel like the emotion / realness is really tangible and vibrant there. before those it's good, but... expected in a way. like, those last two surprise me with frankness, beauty, and a sort of autumnal light. I think the rest is great - but doesn't have that buttery sadhappy going on. ya know? mb that's ok.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Second Assignment, late (of course) but worth it (I hope)

Third Assignment: Pass that Stash, a treasure hunt

JP on "deal with me," BBRRRRAP!