"The work to hold you"


Cobblestones rattle beneath your feet like loose teeth. You stand helplessly,
waiting for me, waiting to drive me to school. The best dreams are when I remember
you are dead but I can work to hold you in the long corridor of my sleep,
can cable the pines lining Gallivan Boulevard to my most upright of memories and make time still
as a corpse. Jesus, don’t stand in the middle of the street, Dad. Cars are coming. Dad, don’t be a fool
as I am now, waking upright, moaning, lilting embryonic in the sea of your absence. Two years,

I tell my therapist. Now your body’s in a ten-inch box, a thimble cove you crawled into to languish years
free of Mom’s incessant shuffling. She was driven to pile and repile magazines, to—helplessly?—
motor her mouth and motor on: “Work sucks. Who does my boss think he’s fooling?
The neighbors are snooping, and the goddam laundry pile’s blocking out the sun.” Remember,
Daddy, when we cooked her Christmas ham for Chanukah dinner? You told us to hush up and hold still
as she clopped in to find the spread. But even now I hear the siss-si-siss of your giggling when asleep

or trying, trying, trying to be. I tell my therapist I’ve lost my compass. I can’t find sleep.
I tell her, I wish I’d seen you dead so I could have some idea of where you went. Of where fifty-five years
could possibly retreat. Ashes in a ten-inch box, a thimble cove, really? Maybe I could erect a still
slab of stone somewhere you loved. Somewhere I love you. My therapist talks at me helplessly
but I hear you instead, saying, “Fuck it, slap the stone down on this couch.” I remember,
though I wasn't there, what Mom did in those precious April Fools’

moments before she could pick up the phone to call me. Foolishly,
this was the first time she’d ever stopped just to sit, just to watch you sleep,
just to set down at the kitchen table and remember.
But she sat. And she remembered
without thin cigarette or Chardonnay for the first time in years,
without lipstick or powder or a friend’s voice long-distance. Just her own body, helplessly,
unbearably still.

In those under-appraised moments, there was no decorum left but a suitcase of gold jewelry
she’d accumulated from you. It grew heavy then. Dad, that gold pulled her down like sleep,
deep and deeper down into the old years, the brittlest years, the glass years
of your courtship she’d long stowed away. A Hummel figurine to hold the light. I remember,

back then, her fingernails were a sunset on mars. I tell my therapist, I remember
helplessly. Helplessly, I remember that April Fool’s morning
you dozed away. And just a day
later you were dead. I tell my therapist, It’s helplessly unfunny—like waking
from sleep thinking I’ve drowned with my hand in a cup of water, pissing myself silly.

Comments

  1. Lauren sent me this a few days ago, and I wanted to thank you for it. My mom died exactly 7 months ago, and your poem hit close to home. It's very good. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate--

    So good to see you verse again. Riveting doesn't come close, but I'll use the word anyway. You're a poet not to be trifled with. "Thimble cove" is spot on--actually, this poem is filled with such images. The recursive nature of the lines, the incessant repetition serve well here. More, please--your words always inspire.

    Love,
    Bigscary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate-

    nice. sestina week.

    the narrative is wonderful, and I love love love the framing of the therapist. if anything, I might say get that therapist in the first stanza, so it doesn't feel like a hiccup. also, as the poem goes on this weird thing happens where the form gets almost too redundant, but then you break it in half. love that. you break great - you should do it more, and more raggedy. I like it when you go off book. Sestinas should be broken and burned, and I applaud you.

    I liked it a lot. once again, the therapist framing was awesome. nice to see your writing again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Second Assignment, late (of course) but worth it (I hope)

Third Assignment: Pass that Stash, a treasure hunt

JP on "deal with me," BBRRRRAP!